Saturday, October 14, 2006

Brits Out

I really can't fault the accuracy of the comments of General Sir Richard Dannatt regarding the British in Iraq. In fact, I'm mighty relieved that someone so qualified agrees with my instinctive prejudices :-

* On future planning : "get ourselves out sometime soon because our presence exacerbates the security problems".

* "I don't say that the difficulties we are experiencing round the world are caused by our presence in Iraq but undoubtedly our presence in Iraq exacerbates them."

* On our planning for the Occupation : "poor, probably based more on optimism than sound planning".

Now - here's my gripe : I don't believe he should be making public statements like that in his position.

To me, in his position he knocks himself out arguing his case internally, but if his counsel is not heeded, he can't be publicly contradicting his Commander-in-Chief.

To me he has two options : suck it up and get on with his job, and save the gripe for the memoirs. Or quit and kick up a world-class stink.

No comments: