Thursday, September 13, 2007

Spread the Word

Sometimes I feel I should be a more typical blogger and announce every last little thing that's going on in my life, down to what I had for breakfast that morning.

So let's start with what I had for breakfast this morning.

Marmite on wholemeal toast with tea.

I apologise that I don't have pictures of the event to attach here or video to post on youtube. Mrs. Stan and Stanetta are the only witnesses to the event, and they didn't get a great look because they hate the smell and stood well back.

Marmite is an anomaly. From a country with such a bland food heritage comes something that 20% of people like, 80% hate and 0% are neutral.

If you have time, watch this piece on Youtube for an enhaustive description for foreigners of what Marmite is.

For those of you who only have time for the Executive Overview, it is either :-

(a) something that smells like you've been scratching your bottom and looks like something you'd find on the bottom of your shoe.

or

(b) a tangy salty yeasty spread that's the best thing to happen to sliced bread since sliced bread.


It seems odd that the product actually needs to be advertised, you would have thought that word-of-mouth would have either attracted or put-off everyone in the UK by now. However, advertise the Marmite people do, and they do it rather well. Very funny pieces based around the fact that some people love it, most people hate it.

The latest one of these adverts is to make use of Paddington bear, who will replace his traditional marmalade sandwich for you-guessed-it and cheese. I'm sure the purists will think this sacrilege.

Good.

Right, so that's breakfast well and truly blogged. Unfortunately there's no time to blog any of the rest of my day.

Same time tomorrow ?

1 comment:

ArcticFox said...

What is it with this "squeezable" marmite??

For one, the label is upside down, and for two, I think I am quite capable of wielding a knife to spread condiments on some warmed up bread!!

Humbuggery!!

FoX