liThe unit of genetic information is the "gene". According to the great Richard Dawkins the unit of cultural information is the "meme".
Examples he gave were "tunes, catch-phrases, beliefs, clothing fashions, ways of making pots, or of building arches". These all propogate around our culture, bashing into each other, replicating, being corrupted, combining, interferring and generally behaving incredibly like genes.
In fact, the whole concept of a meme is itself a meme, which makes my head hurt.
The Internet is the plague rat of memetics, spreading catchy ideas around the world seemingly faster than light. Some of these internet memes have been extremely dumb, but raise a smile or make you think.
In honour of my learned colleague, Kenny, who in one 48 hour period dissed the good Professor in a comment here and then indulged in a meme on his blog, I am propogating one of the internet-style memes from his site. In honour of the Great Dawkins, I am changing it slightly in the hope that the mutation will increase its probability of survival.
1) Who would you like to sing you to sleep? Alison Goldfrapp - just to see if she could.
2) SUV or envirofriendly car? Green engine please, but I need aircon and a decent audio system and to heck with the effect that has on the polar bears.
3) Major or minor chords? Dumb question - anyone who chooses doesn't understand music.
4) Favorite love song? "Lock Keeper" sung by Marilyn Middleton Pollock.
5) Piano or guitar? Guitar
6) Disposal or forgiveness? Forgiveness is the default action.
7) Favorite item of clothing (come on, we all have one)? Leather jacket - has kept me warm and anonymous at many football matches.
8) Your preferred term of endearment (eg darlin', love, honey, babe etc.)? "Big man" - because that's what Mrs Stan calls me
9) Blog or book? Book. Blogs are fine, but shouldn't be confused with the real thing.
10) Favorite scent? Frying bacon - also my favourite sound !
11) "We're doing this properly". Discuss. "Yeah, right !"
12) Too much or too little blogging makes Stan a dull man. Already dull - can't make much difference