Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Doing something about the Foam

In the previous rant about fire-retardant foam I blew off some steam and felt a lot better for it.

It occurred to me this was just talk unless I did something about it. So I did.

I haven't chained myself to the gates of parliament (way too busy, sorry) but I have emailed my MP, George Osborne (Conservative), who as shadow Chancellor is odds-on to be the man responsible for paying for this sort of thing after the next election.

I was moved by the report on Channel 4 news of the continuing delay in fitting fire-retardant foam to the fuel tanks of Hercules transport planes deployed in Afghanistan and Iraq.

I am by no means a supporter of either deployment but believe that when troops are put in harm's way there must be an extraordinary effort to do all we can to protect them.

Could I please ask you to raise the continuing delay with the proper authorities ? I feel it's only good luck that we haven't had a repeat of the tragedy of December.

It's not exactly "Ten Days that Shook the World", but it's the first political thing I've done for years.

Further bulletins as events warrant.

3 comments:

Stan said...

Cheers Sammy - it's the fundamental lack of respect that hacks me off. Used to be that you the ruling elite just got a bunch of skint uneducated people and sent them to the front. Hope to God we're past that stage now. You literally could NOT pay me enough to do that job - I'm glad someone is willing to do it - and I feel very strongly that we should be looking after them.

Kenny said...

I sat chatting with a couple of ex-marines last night. It's even worse than you think. I'll be blogging it later.

Stan said...

Cheers Andy - and thanks for the link which seems to have brought half of America to my Blog !

Have devised a chant for the demo.

"What do we want ?!"

"FOAM !"

"When do we want it ?"

"About ten years ago you clueless muppets !"