Tuesday, April 07, 2009

Which part of "The Past" are you having a problem with ?!

I was watching the blokes from Abba on BBC Breakfast this morning and found myself nodding along. They had been asked (probably for the ten millionth time this year) whether they thought Abba would ever perform together again.

No. They didn't. They honestly though it would likely disappoint the audience and it would disappoint them.

Fleetwood Mac are touring again and even though I'm a huge fan of their music I don't think I'll be attending. Stevie Nicks' voice circa 1978 was one of the greatest musical instruments of all time, but nowadays there's a lot of post-production needed to make it sound good on a recording. Live ? No chance. Backing singers woud have to cover for her and Mick would have to hit those drums really quite hard.

That said, I went to a rather brilliant Joe Jackson gig a few years ago and enjoyed it immensely.

What is it that some bands are better off staying home and counting the royalties, while others can play in six decades and have something fresh to say to each of them ?

I'm going to see Lou Reed and Mrs Lou Reed (Laurie Anderson) in July. I'm not going to be the guy in the audience yelling "We Want Nico!". The Velvet Underground are not coming back and there's no compelling reason why they should. Lou Reed is as creative in the 2000's as he was in 1960's and I'm looking forward to seeing what he comes up with next.

Plus, Laurie Anderson cracks me up.

3 comments:

Kenny said...

I saw that Abba thing. I never "got" Abba.

You're right about the Velvet Underground. Nico could not sing in the sixties so what she would be like now is unthinkable (is she still alive?).

Joe Jackson was ace.

Stan said...

Nope - Nico died young and not-so-pretty. I think it was heroin.

Stan said...

This post was written before I found out that Spinal Tap are touring again. Well, if you can call one night in London "touring"

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7985487.stm