Thursday, April 23, 2009

Blogging, Northern Exposure, The Wire and Thomas Aquinas

The following makes no sense - don't try looking for any sense. Because there isn't any.

If anyone's confused as to why I write this blog, let them look no further than the fact that I made my girl Stanetta laugh when she read my description of our rush to the hospital. Most teenage girls laugh at their fathers (usually when they're dancing) so it's really special to think that we can share a joke, especially when the subject matter was an experience that was full of physical and emotional pain for us both at time.

I actually like the idea that the comments have stopped coming since I changed the rules. The people I care about still find ways to tell me their opinions on what I've written, so I get all the feedback I need. I should probably miss all the anony-mouses, but I don't.

It all reminds me of the 1990's TV series "Northern Exposure" - I feel more and more like Chris-in-the-Morning, the DJ broadcasting his thoughts to hardly anyone and few moose way up in Alaska. The trick is just to dance like no-one's watching - to blog like no-one's reading - to twitter like .... Nah - don't bother twittering, tweeting, clucking or chirping. In fact, avoid all bird noises and passing Internet fads altogether.

I was actually intending to make this posting about how great "The Wire" is, but I got distracted. If you haven't watched it, it's like "Hill Street Blues" meets "The Sopranos" in six dimensions. Hopeless - it's absolutely impossible to explain what it's like.

It also seems impossible to find new ways to say how great it is. But great it is. Infinitely great. How do you describe something that is infinitely great.

Sounds like a job for Thomas Aquinas :-

  1. "The Wire" is a slick Unity bringing seamlesly together plot, dialogue, acting or cinematography.
  2. "The Wire" is perfect, lacking nothing. That is, "The Wire" is distinguished from other TV series on account of its complete actuality.
  3. "The Wire" is infinite. That is, it is not finite in the ways that dramedies and docusoaps are physically, intellectually, and emotionally limited. This infinity is to be distinguished from infinity of size and infinity of number.
  4. "The Wire" is infinitely capable of change on the levels of its essence and character.
  5. Yes, "The Wire" really is that good.

No comments: