Friday, December 10, 2010

If you think education is expensive, try ignorance

The Stan household have spent the last week stomping around the house, periodically climbing onto soap boxes and railing at each other against the despicable coalition's raid on the higher education budget. Join the demonstrators at the barricades? Not a chance - it's cold out there and I'm allergic to being beaten about the face and neck by police batons.

Here's an idea for some alternative cuts that can be made :-

* Trident (£16.8m per missile)
* Royal Family (£38.2m per year)
* Magistrates' Biscuits (£198.6m per year - excluding bourbons)

There are much saner ways of saving £200m than castrating the higher education budget. The diverse problems we are going to face over the next few decades are going to need a diverse bunch of educated people to solve them.  Not just one or two rich kids.

I really hope that I don't have to talk to any politicians in the next month or so - I'm just so angry with them all right now. I'm afraid that one of the LiConDem politicians is going to show up on my doorstep selling a message of progressive big society and I'm going to attempt to beat them to death with their own smug-gittiness.

1 comment:

Bagpuss said...

Yikes!

I spent a VERY long morning in a meeting with a woman who had the same 'interrupt to answer what I think you're saying' issue. I had great admiration for the person chaioring the meeting who was very patient with her.

In your case, I suppose it is possible that she is a good nurse, but igniores her personal paperwork. (Or that she was simply making excuses, having stuck her head in the sand until the last possible moment)
Did you end up disqualifying her?