To listen to Cardinal Cormac Murphy-O'Connor, the Archbishop of Westminster, you'd think this was a rare, nay freak state of affairs. So much so, that he has felt the need to remind Christians to respect Atheists. Was the previous policy to hunt them with dogs ?
It was interesting to listen to him on Radio 4 this morning, well after Richard Dawkins did his piece. The Cardinal is not the greatest of speakers and he uses the lamest sound bites and clichés ... er ... "at the drop of a hat".
I have a few questions :-
- What is this "deep esteem" he mentions that I should start to expect to receive from Catholics, and could I have the cash instead ?
- What are the chances that the UK could become a "God-free zone" ? A few big-mouthed bolshie atheists against the Creator of All sounds like a mis-match to me.
- Why does he always describe Atheists as "non-believers" ? Atheists believe - just not in the same thing as the Cardinal.
- Exactly which "people are afraid to express their religious beliefs in the UK" ?
- Exactly which "many people" are suffering from "a sense of being in a sort of exile from faith-guided experience." ? And what in the name of Baal is he talking about ?