Friday, March 28, 2008

And I'm Feeling Good

The Eurofighter Typhoon is a phenomenal fighter plane. It is made of futuristic light-weight materials, and is powered by two Rolls Royce engines giving a staggering 20,000 pounds of thrust. It's controlled to an unprecedented extent by computers allowing it to make turns no unaided human could make. You may have seen its party-piece on "Top Gear", racing Richard Hammond in a Bugatti Veyron

My favourite part from this footage is the lazy weightless flick that turns it from a climbing rocket into a falling stone in half a heartbeat. You feel the pilot could throw it around the sky like ... like ... er ...

Well, the only thing that comes to mind is "Like Nina Simone singing 'Feeling Good".

I drove down to London and back today, which took around 8 hours, so I had plenty of time to listen to music in my car. I don't drive a Bugatti Veyron, unfortunately - I still have the Spanish diesel that I unfairly slagged off last year. It's still running fine, nearly 100,000 miles into its life, and it cost me little enough , so I shouldn't be so ungrateful.

The weather was pretty miserable and I was tired, but I was mentally and emotionally lifted up by Nina Simone's amazing piece of Powerful, Black, Feminine vocal acrobatics. Gravity isn't an issue as she throws her voice all over the sky, ignoring the conventions of beats and bars and putting the notes where she knows they damn well belong.

Just as well I was alone in car - I must have played it twenty consecutive times.

My other discovery was "She's My Man" by Scissor Sisters. It's a track I've heard before on the second album, but it never struck me before. Perfect music for tired drivers in the rain closing in on home after a long day on the road.

I've seen the song described as a "joyous glam-rock-disco shakedown" and I can't improve on that for a description. Wonderfully deranged lyrics too.

No comments: