Monday, May 18, 2009

Future Shock

"Reservoir Dogs" is lightweight compared to Stanetta's post-appendix stomach pain.

In Quentin Tarantino's gruesome film, Mister Orange screams and whimpers throughout from a nasty case of bullet-in-the-gut. It's extremely disturbing, but it's so much worse when it's your actual daughter hysterical with pain, and instead of an easily diagnosed bullet wound, there's no apparent reason nor any obvious way to stop it.

So I decided to take a week off from work (and this blog) to help look after her - which I think I did best by being distractingly awful at Mario Cart. How did fathers manage before the invention of games consoles ?

It hasn't been all doom and gloom. For starters, Mario Cart is a hoot and an excellent source of Class "A" banter with Stanetta. The Wii console connects wirelessly via our home broadband connection and we passed some good hours racing other daughters and dads and geeks from around the world on a rainbow road in outer space.

At night, Mrs Stan and I watched the second series of "Damages" and I managed to find time to watch Series 4 of "Lost". I may discuss these at some length later.

Just one quick warning though. If you're watching "Lost" series 4 while stressed and sleep-deprived, all the flash-forward/flash-back/time-travel will mess with your brain. Especially if you accidentally read a review of Series 5 which is now being shown on Sky, which describes a whole different set of flash-forward/flash-back/time-travel which I am destined to experience when I get hold of the Series 5 boxset in my personal future.

AAAAAAARRRRGGGHHHH! My mind - it is blown.

No comments: